- We have just received confirmation of the approval for an emergency authorisation for the use of Movento on sugar beet.
- Remember that this is ONLY for application to non-cruiser-treated crops
- Authorisation is as the third insecticide spray in your programme. Use only after Tepekki/Afinto and Insyst have been applied to crops.
Any aphicide should only be used if the aphid thresholds have been breached.
A summary of some of the key information relating to the EA
This Emergency authorisation relates to the use of ‘Movento’ (M18435) for the control of peach potato aphid (Myzus persicae) to prevent virus yellows infection.
Applications to be made via horizontal boom sprayer in water volumes of 300 to 600 litres water per hectare. ‘Movento’ should be applied at the recommended rate of use and in sufficient water volume to achieve the required spray penetration into the crop and uniform coverage necessary for optimal pest control.
IMPORTANT: When applying this product under the terms of this Emergency authorisation, comply with any resistance guidance or restrictions stated on the product label
Extent of authorisation: England
Product name: Movento
Active ingredient: 150 g / l spirotetramat
MAPP number: 18435
Product authorisation holder: Bayer CropScience Limited (Registered Company 218826)
Specific restrictions apply:
(1) This product must only be applied for the control peach potato aphid (Myzus persicae) in accordance with the terms of this Emergency Authorisation, the product label and/or associated leaflet.
(2) Growers must refer to BBRO advice and recommendations from BASIS qualified agronomists when considering the need to spray.
(3) Do not use on sugar beet plants grown from seed treated with ‘Cruiser SB’.
(4) Crops must only be sprayed with ‘Movento’ following a two-spray programme of acetamiprid and flonicamid and where relevant aphid thresholds are Identified: up to 12 true leaves: 1 green wingless aphid per 4 Plants and between 12 and 16 true leaves: 1 green wingless aphid per plant
(5) This product must not be applied via hand-held equipment.
To protect non-target arthropods, respect an untreated buffer zone of 5 m to non-crop land.
What is Movento?
An oil dispersion formulation containing 150 g/L (15.94% w/w) spirotetramat. It is a ketoenol systemic insecticide which works by inhibition of lipid biosynthesis to control sucking pests.
Due to the mode of action, rapid knockdown of pests should not be expected. Obvious control usually occurs after 3–7 days and is dependent upon pest stage, with youngest larvae being most susceptible and adults least susceptible.
It is systemic and the active ingredient spirotetramat is translocated to growing points and is able to reach hidden aphids in heart leaves and on roots. However, it is important to note that there is little movement from new leaves to older leaves, so good spray cover on older leaves will be particularly important.